Word of mouth is our most consistent source of project leads. We work hard to earn this trust, and we're grateful for the recommendations that result.
So we've set up a fairly straightforward referral system. We want to reward those who connect us with great new projects. In short, we'll pay 10% of the first project or first three months of billed work.
We want this to be as informal and friendly as possible. We have only good intentions and we want to fairly reward good leads.
Just in case, some clarifications:
- We'll pay your referral fee when the related invoice(s) have been paid. This just ensures that the connection has led to paid work.
- This works for most types of engagements but any oddities or exceptions will be dealt with upfront. For a site redesign or logo project (even a small one), sure; for an hour of advice over Skype, probably not.
- One referral payout per client. You get a referral payout (of 10% for our first project, or of the first 3 months’ invoces) once and only once for any client you send us. After that, we feel like we've earned any ongoing work. If you send us another client though, that's more cha-chings.
- Referrals cannot be back-dated. This is for new leads only.
- Things are subject to change (within reason). If we're way too busy, or way too slow, or the economy collapses, or zombies walk the earth, we will have to go re-examine our policies.
- Any unusual circumstances will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. If there are any gray areas – or any angst at all really – we will discuss them together.
- It's the lesser of the two. Basically the 10% of the first project and the first three months are limiters. If we hit either limit, we stop sending out payments.
Making it even easier
Don't know what to say? Here's an example of an email introduction (email is usually the best and easiest way) that is eligible for a referral reward:
Joe, meet Cozy. Cozy, meet Joe.
Joe mentioned that he was looking for help creating a logo and getting a website launched for his new pizzeria.
I've worked with Lee, Allison, and Leanna at Cozy before and was very happy. They'll do right by you, Joe.
I'll let you guys take it from here, but let me know if I can be of any further assistance!
Thanks, Jane! You may have just earned yourself some pizza money!